Summer Coding Hackathon 2023
Summer Coding Hackathon 2023
Marshall Cavendish Education (MCE) invites all students aged 9 to 12 to join our MCE Summer Coding Hackathon 2023! Themed Code the Ocean, students from around the world will be coming together to build, learn and create their own game projects from scratch.
In collaboration with our partner Koding Next, we aim to build an international community of young coders and to raise awareness on marine conservation and sustainability.
About the Hackathon
Topic: Maintenance of the Marine Environment
All contestants are required to create an interactive story game project using the Scratch 3.0 application.
22 - 24 June 2023
Lifelong Learning Institute
- Lower Primary: 9 to 10 years old
- Upper Primary: 11 to 12 years old
Registration closes on 15 June 2023. You will receive a confirmation email from Kalodu via your registered email. In the confirmation email, you will be required to complete an online form to fill in the contestant’s particulars. This competition is open to participants around the world. The registration/ competition fee is non-refundable and non-exchangeable for products or services.
Note: If you do not receive the confirmation email, please check your junk or spam mailbox.
Global Champion (Lower Primary)
The top student of this category will be awarded a trophy.
Global Champion (Upper Primary)
The top student of the competition will be awarded a trophy.
Top Country Winners
Top winners from each participating country will be awarded a trophy.
All other contestants will be awarded a medal and a certificate of participation.
Do you need any coding background to participate in this hackathon?
This competition is open to all students, including beginners who have no prior coding experience. To prepare our contestants for the hackathon, they will undergo our training sessions to learn and practice coding in the Scratch application before submitting their game project for the hackathon.
Is this an individual or group hackathon?
This is an individual competition. Each participant is required to complete their own game project using Scratch 3.0 as part of the hackathon.
What does the competition fee entails?
The one-time competition entry fee entitles the participant to gain access to our MCE Summer Coding Hackathon 2023, training sessions, lunch, and related materials. For participants who are living outside of Singapore, they are responsible for their own personal travel expenses such as flight, accommodation, travel insurance and shopping. All contestants are required to make their own travel arrangements and accommodation for this competition.
Do you have a recommended hotel?
We recommend Aqueen Hotel Paya Lebar (Google Maps) which is a 7 mins walk to Lifelong Learning Institute and the nearest Paya Lebar MRT Station.
Is an accompanying adult a mandatory requirement for this event?
All participating students are encouraged to travel with adult company. We recommend either a participating school’s teacher or their respective parents to accompany the students. However, it will not be a mandatory requirement.
As an accompanying adult, can I join the event?
Parents and teachers are not allowed to sit in for the training session and hackathon on 22 - 23 June 2023. However, you are invited to join our lunch and prize presentation ceremony on 24 June 2023.
Terms & Conditions
- Marshall Cavendish Education is the organiser of the MCE Summer Coding Hackathon.
- All information shared to us will follow Marshall Cavendish Education's data protection and privacy statements.
- Winners will be informed via email or social media messenger depending on the information given.
- Winners will be selected by the Organiser's panel of judges and the decision is final.
- All submissions for the hackathon are at the risk of the Contestant and in the event that there are technical difficulties experienced arising out of the internet or from any associated equipment or internet security is compromised, the Organiser may at its sole and absolute discretion disqualify the entire entry and shall not accept any liability doing so.
- The prize is as stated and is non-transferable and not-for-sale. No cash alternatives will be offered. If due to circumstances beyond the Organiser’s control, the Organiser is unable to provide the stated prize or any part thereof, the Organiser reserves the right to substitute the prize with an item of equal or greater value, to be determined at the Organisers’ sole discretion.
- Late submission will be automatically void.
- The registration / competition fee is non-refundable or exchangeable for products or services.
- The Organiser reserves the rights to amend the terms and conditions without prior notice.
*If you are unable to view any products, the products are currently unavailable in your country.
The Best Way to Learn is with Marshall Cavendish Education
Your child learns best with Marshall Cavendish Education full suite of Digital Platforms.